How to Apply for a Shortening of Time!

Updated: Oct 13, 2018

So, what is a 'Shortening of Time'?

Here in Australia, an Authorised Marriage Celebrant must receive your "Notice of Intended Marriage" (NOIM) with a minimum of 1 month's notice or a maximum of 18 months. If your intention is to marry within 1 month, then you will need to apply for permission from a Prescribed Authority. There are only certain circumstances when a shortening of notice time for an intended marriage may be considered.

quick, not enough time
Have you lodged your Notice of Intended Marriage within the required 1 month or maximum of 18 months notice time?

Circumstances to satisfy a request to shorten the time:

There are five limited categories of circumstances set out in the Marriage Regulations.

These are:

1. Employment related or other travel commitments.

2. Wedding or celebration arrangements.

3. Medical reasons.

4. Legal proceedings.

5. Error in giving notice

Indoor, circle arch, glass, modern
Marriage Ceremony

Further explanation of each category can be explained by me (or your Authorised Marriage Celebrant), a Prescribed Authority or your local state Births, Deaths & Marriages office.

What is a Prescribed Authority?

A Prescribed Authority is the person who will assess your application to marry within the regulation 1 month's notice. It is up tho their discretion to consider your individual case for your application. A list of these authorities can be found here:

A minimum of 1 month is required to lodge your intention to marry.

There is a cost for this application. Refer to your Prescribed Authority for their fees.

You will need to apply in person. Take these documents with you when applying for the shortening of time:

+ The original NOIM that has been received by me (or another Authorised Celebrant). Generally, this NOIM should not leave the possession of the celebrant, so I may choose to attend the office of the Prescribed Authority with you.

+ A letter from me (or your celebrant) that acknowledges the receiving of your NOIM and the specific circumstances as to why you are applying for the shortening.

+ All of your original documents that support those circumstances. Evidence is required for each separate circumstance.

It is not a forgone conclusion that a shortening will be granted as parties to a marriage do have to have a very good reason within the guidelines of the Marriage Regulations.

30 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All